Friday, April 13, 2012

White Savior Industrial Complex?

1245, local time
Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
Wynne Hedlesky

This is just a quick comment I posted on Facebook in response to Teju Cole's viral tweets and follow-up article on the "White Savior Industrial Complex." For the most part, I agree with what he says, and unlike some readers, I don't particularly find his tone resentful, pretentious, or grating; I think his anger and sarcasm are justified, and also serve to help take the issue out of the realm of neutral language that ensures that readers remain unruffled and indifferent.

I posted on Facebook:

'As I prepare to teach English in Lao, I wonder if I am about to become a "cool 20-something American hero," though on a different continent. It's a strange, uncertain feeling that leaves you really wondering about your own motives, and feeling rather afraid to look inside and try to discover them. I try to remind myself that this is a drop in the ocean; that this is more for myself to develop skills of working with people in the field in future projects than to save the people of Lao, and I shouldn’t let my conscience pat me on the back.

I’ve learned a tiny bit about the recent political history of SE Asia, and I must agree with Teju Cole—it it's hard not to be convinced that the “money-driven villainy” of America, France, and other powerful nations played a central role in the destabilization of the region in the last hundred years, just as colonialism, both overt and in the guise various policies aimed at securing the economic interests of powerful nations, has done all over the world.

Much more than a do-good attitude and youthful enthusiasm is necessary to clear up the wreckage and prevent further abuses, and it's merely self-serving delusion to convince ourselves otherwise. Am I going to solve these complex political problems by teaching English in some Lao village? Of course not. By providing basic literacy skills, am I going to equip a few individuals to compete in a changing social and economic landscape and perhaps lead a more autonomous life and stand up against the powerful interests that will work to exploit them? Just maybe, a little.

And hopefully, someday, I’ll have the knowledge and influence to address underlying issues and root causes. Personally, I think this will involve changing attitudes and policies in my own country. What drives policies that exploit the people and resources of other nations? Habits of over-consumption and greed. Maybe we can do more to “save the world” by addressing these tendencies than by clicking “like” on a youtube video.'

No comments:

Post a Comment